Friday, April 6, 2018

When,Where, Who, What,Why,Trust


Deuteronomy 1:6

"It was 40 years ago, at Mount Horeb, that Jehovah our God told us "You have stayed long enough."

"That's me."  The older man positioned me in front of the old photograph.  It was an evening in October of 1974.  It was "meet the family night."  I was newly engaged. My future mother-in-law planned a family dinner to get acquainted.  The most vivid memory of the evening was my husband's paternal grandfather.  I'd heard the stories of his youthful athletics, his job as a candy maker, his love for large dogs and how he led the men of the family into spirited, loud discussions on trivial subjects (that evening the discussion centered on the best clam chowder).

This night I learned about the character of Sipe men.  Grandma and Grandpa had recently changed their living arrangements.  They'd been living apart and hadn't seen each other for a few weeks.  Both were polite and interested in meeting me but they had "eyes for each other." They spent most of the evening on the couch holding hands and talking.

The character of a Sipe man, which I learned that night and saw demonstrated through the men who followed Fred Sipe, is that he thinks his wife is the  most important woman to walk the face of the earth.  Throughout my forty plus years with a Sipe man, I have never doubted that I am loved.  My husband learned it from his father who learned it from his father.

The sixth verse of Deuteronomy should please English teachers. It has the classic format of "When, Where, Who, What, Why."  It's the opening of Moses' speech to the Israelites.  Reflecting on the past is helpful before a time of change or beginning of a journey.  Moses prepares the people for the next season of their journey with a history lesson.  The purpose of the recounting of historical facts was to assure the people of God's deliverance, leading and love.  God was faithful in the past, He would be with them in their next season.

Deuteronomy is one of my favorite books.  It reminds me of the foundation of my relationship with God.  God loves me.  It's amazing to me that God puts up with the Israelites whining, complaining, doubting and disobeying (characteristics I too often display).  For reasons only God knows, He chose the Israelites and "only has eyes for them". 

What response should come from the Israelites?  And from me?  Trust.  God has been with me in my past journey( history and His character have shown me) and He will be with me, and you, in the future. 

As the challenges of my life come, my assurance rests in
When
Where
Who
What
Why
Trust


No comments:

Post a Comment