Thursday, April 5, 2018

Counting Builds My Faith in God


Numbers 1:6
"from the tribe of Simeon, Shelumiel the son of Zurishaddai;"

"Gather around behind us and look like a large group."  We were in an overseas country dealing with an airline.  Apparently the airline was not going to honor the tickets I held in my hand.  The other co-leader and I hadn't been able to secure our passage so we decided to  show our numbers.  We thought 16 women would be intimidating, a force to be reckoned, or at least convincing.

It didn't work.  After presenting our case to yet another supervisor, I turned to leave the counter and looked at our "force".  I saw 14 women who'd been traveling for 10 days, up since before dawn and one-third of the "force" spending most of their time ill in the facilities.

God did not leave us alone in that faraway land.  Our ragged group  needed two days of relaxation at our travel agent's expense!.  We enjoyed the hospitality of the locale.

When I made up my challenge of "The Sixes"  Numbers 1:6 was my concern.  After all Numbers is notorious for boring reading.  Most Bible readers skip or at least skim through the first half off the book.  It's name says it all.  It's about numbers!

I read the context of the verse.  The Lord had  instructed Moses to take a census of the available men to fight a war and He named the men who were to assist with the counting.  Shelumiel would represent the tribe of Simeon.

God didn't need the count.  He knew exactly how many fighting men were available and the number of the hairs on each of their heads.  The people needed to know God had a plan.  God knows sometimes numbers will help us trust Him more.  Too often we trust in the numbers when we need to remember that it's God in whom we trust.  He will use the numbers to accomplish His plan.

Rather than put my trust in the number of ideas, options, people or dollars I possess, I should trust in the number of times God has delivered in the past, the countless blessings present each day and the eternal promises God will fulfill in the future.

Counting
Builds
My
Faith
in
God


No comments:

Post a Comment