Thursday, April 12, 2018

God fulfills mission in His Time


1 Samuel 1: 6
"And her rival used to provoke her grievously to irritate her, because the Lord had closed her womb." ESV

God fulfills mission in His Time

"It's not time yet."  I start almost every morning murmuring, then declaring these words.  My annoying little pack leader thinks the dogs need to eat at 3:30 am.  So she paws at my bed.  When I don't respond appropriately she lets me fall back asleep for about one minute and then wakes me up.  I fight her timing  but will admit that I get a lot done with the early start to my day.

Today's verse in my blog series, The Sixes- a six word learning from the 6th verse of each of the 66 books of the Bible, comes from the story of Hannah.  Hannah wanted children desperately.  Her husband's other wife had lots of sons and daughters and her pride in fertility provoked Hannah.  Hannah's husband demonstrated his love for her despite the situation.   Hannah ended up in the temple in intense prayer.  So fervent was her prayer that the priest, Eli, thought her drunk.  When he heard her story, God used Eli to tell Hannah that He would indeed answer her prayer, at just the right time.

It wasn't time yet.  Hannah was to be Samuel's mother.  Samuel  was to be the spiritual leader of the Israelites as they transitioned from the time of judges to the kingdom.  He anointed the first king.

I've lived in the confines of time long enough to have heard "It's not time yet."  Most times I challenge the restriction because I always like my plan better. Yet I've  learned there are times I benefit from "it's not time yet."  When my mom was 45 years old she heard the dreaded words  breast cancer.  I didn't know it at that time but God said "it's not time yet."  We had 16 years with  her before the disease finished her.  In hindsight, I like to think she hadn't finished raising us and we needed more of her influence.  God's timeline gave us those 16 years.

Time has taught me to trust His mastery of time.  When I don't agree, discuss it with the Lord. He will give me the plan if I'll listen and trust Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment