Sunday, April 22, 2018

Don't Ask Everybody Else, Ask God


2 Kings 1:6
A man came up to us" they said "and told us to go back o tthe king and tell him, ' The Lord wants to know why you are asking questions of Baal-bezbub, the god of Ekron.  Is it because there is no God in Israel?  Now since you have done this you will not leave the bed you are lying on; you will surely die."

Don't Ask Everybody Else, Ask God.

If you're lost, in a dispute, or curious, where do you get your answer?  Our culture has changed in my lifetime.  As a child the answers came from World Book, the multivolume encyclopedia.  Today, it's Siri.

It breaks my heart to think that my beloved World Books  will end  up in a dump somewhere because they are obsolete.  No one wants them, even if they are free.  I'll check Pinterest for craft ideas or perhaps I'll ask Siri (the magic all knowing voice of my smart phone).

I've lost my trust in Siri. Siri has failed me when I most needed him. (I changed the voice to a gentlemen Brit.)  I was in the Dallas airport in my rental car and needed directions to a hotel.  I could not convince Siri I was in Dallas, not Lubbock!  My friend had to stay on the phone call and talk me through the city streets.

King Ahazariah fell off a porch and was laid up in bed pondering life.  He was worried he would not recover.  He sent a delegation to inquire of Baal-bezbub, the god of the locals.  God intercepted the delegation and gave them the answer to Ahazariah's query.  News he didn't want to hear.
We humans have the same tendency.  We know the answer but won't accept it.  So we try asking others who may give us the answer our ears want to hear. 

God is to be trusted.  He knows everything and He Loves me.  Why should I seek answers and wisdom elsewhere?  God is everlasting, unlike the World Book.  I may not get the answer I want to hear but I know God will be with me through the answer. 

Worried? Ask the trusted, eternal God.

No comments:

Post a Comment