Wednesday, October 16, 2013

The To Do List


 


I was traveling when I read Deuteronomy 2:24. I was using my electronic version of the Bible in my phone.  The verse began, "On your feet now, get started, cross the Arnon Brook..."   Wow, look at those verbs.  Can you see the to do list?

Then I realized I was in the Message translation when I usually read in the New International.  That day  the verbs gave me a list to follow just as God gave the Israelites a list. 
In The Message                                                                In the NIV
On your feet                                                      Set out
get started                                                         
cross                                                                      cross
Look                                                                      see
take it                                                                   take possession
go to war.                                                            engage.
I especially liked the "On your feet NOW.  Get started..."  It felt like a spiritual to do list.
In the morning, I say:  "on your feet NOW.  Get started.  Cross the following off your list:
Get moving
take care of dogs
start coffee
study time
walk dogs
....
I have several other housekeeping chores on my to do list for today.  Phone calls to make and  license plates to install. 
What would God put on my to do list:
get to know Me
serve Me
praise Me
...
This verse reminds me that God has given me this day.  It is His gift.  Use it wisely.  Just as the Israelites were overwhelmed by the long range goals of conquering the Promised Land, I can be overwhelmed by the task of living my whole life.  Yet God breaks it down into smaller tasks. Live today.  Live one day at a time.  

He told the Israelites to cross the Arnon Brook.  I have given you King Sihon and his country.  Begin to take possession. God reminds them that the mission of conquering the Promised Land is a process and step one is to begin the possession of the Amorite land.  God reminds me that becoming the woman that God intends for me is a process and step one is to know him today, to know and follow God just for today. 

The NIV uses the words "Begin to take" and that reminds me it's a process.  I need to begin it and continue in it.  I am not required to be finished by the end of the day.   As "well-seasoned in years" as I am, God is not finished with me yet. 

The puppies remind me I'm not finished with them yet.  I've only been training them for six weeks.  We were separated while I was traveling.  Last night they expressed their willful little spirits but today is a new day.  After Molly came in from outside, she found her place in the chair ready for study time.  She remembered the routine of the day.  It's a process to become my dog but each day we are a step closer.

God also tells the Israelites "I have given...".  So God assures me I will become the woman He intends I just need to begin and continue.  Molly reminded me that that dog I expect is in her just give her another day of training.

I'm going to review the "to do" list that I made last night for today.  Is it God's to do list?  God has given me this day.  Use it wisely.

No comments:

Post a Comment