Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Sit Week


This week at the Sipe Puppy Academy is the week of "sit!"  I am a bit overwhelmed by training two puppies.  So I have decided to concentrate on one basic command a week.  So often during the day we do a bit of sit training.  This morning Molly almost obeyed at the first command- pretty good after three days.  Mickey is so happy and easily distracted by everything, he is not sure he can fit obeying in at that moment.

In Deuteronomy 1:41-46, the Israelites, again, had trouble with the timing of obedience.  They felt bad that they had not obeyed earlier so they decided to go out and conquer the hill country.  Even though God told them He would not go with them they would be defeated, they charged out to the hill country.  The enemy swarmed them like bees!

I have read and I know that when I give a command to the puppies, I need to make sure they obey immediately and always.  They may be really cute in their disobedience now but someday in the future, their safety might depend on their immediate obedience.  I have to resolve to maintain the expectation for their obedience to make them acceptable and for their protection.

So there is an expiration date on obedience!  I can't tell God I don't have time for His command and that I'll do it later.  He is the master of history and the time for doing is when He says.  He knows the circumstances and the consequences.  The time to obey is now!

Mickey is enjoying life and wants to obey when he chooses.  Molly is pretty independent and is not sure I'm worthy of her obedience.  Unfortunately, these puppies sound like too many of us.  We're too busy living our own life to respond when God calls.  Sometimes we think we have a better idea than God.

I need to remember that the One who knows the circumstances and the consequences also has a better concept of timing.  The time to obey is when God speaks not when it fits my schedule. I may keep my calendar but God knows what will be on it, what needs to be on it and the outcome.  Maybe I need to "run" my calendar past God first. 

I've learned recently that God has plans for us that may not have been in my long range plans but the time is right.  We go when He calls now.  It may not be logical in the worldly sense but God knows best.

As I hope my puppies will soon learn, it's better to follow me all the time at the time, I strive to follow God's commands all the time at the time.  The time to obey is now.

No comments:

Post a Comment