Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Apology to accounting dept


"Jan, can you explain this journal entry?"  It was the semiannual visit from someone in the accounting department.  Several months before I had accidentally written off the wrong loan.  When I reported my error to my supervisor, she said "we'll just go to IT and have them reverse it."  She was stunned by the news that there was no reversing entry for that particular function.  I think the IT department was in far more trouble than me at that point.  The IT person apparently got the loan back on the books but in a very unusual manner.

Every six months or so, a different person came to me for an explanation.  I remember explaining it to at least three different people.  I thought it an imposition on me but today after reading Deuteronomy 1:37-40 I realized that the accounting department was even more inconvenienced.  So much time spent on investigating again and again.  I was only at the company for three years.  I now wonder how many times someone in accounting wandered the building looking for an explanation of a most unusual entry. Ok, now I am over my indignation of being asked time and again and regret the wasted time for the innocent accounting department.  I should have left a note in my personnel file to be opened every six months!

I made the entry in my journal on these verses that "I don't  sin in a vacuum."  My lack of trust in God, my disobedience, my sin have consequences for others. 

These verses start with what sounds like Moses blaming the Israelites but I think he's just stating the facts.  Our choices have consequences.  Today I was struck by the effect of the adults' decision to not trust God, to give them the victory and enter the Promised Land, changed the way the children grew up.  Children that had the opportunity to grow up in the land of milk and honey, instead spent their childhood wandering in the desert.

Selfishly, we think we will be the only ones to experience the consequences of our choices, even our spiritual choices.  Too often we think our spiritual life is private, but today I am reminded others experience consequences, even some I am not aware.

My spiritual actions and relationship has consequences, good and bad, to others.  I will more carefully consider the effects of my lack of faith, my disobedience, my sin because it's not just about me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment