Monday, October 21, 2013

He knows


I just said to Molly, the puppy, "No, I know what you are thinking."  She was leaning toward the corner of the computer ready to chew.  We've had a hard time getting settled into our normal routine this morning since we all had a road trip over the weekend.  I'm a little tired and so to  get started I've done a bit of shuffling of papers.  That led to the puppies trying to chew the papers up.  The puppies have chosen today to switch sides to sit in the chair with me this morning.  I'm not sure what that means.  I'm a mother so I want them to think I know what they are thinking.

My mother taught me well.  I remember the moment I realized she had super human powers. I was upstairs in my room, apparently doing something I wasn't supposed to be doing.  She hollered up and told me to stop ....  She knew exactly what I was doing.  I don't remember what I was doing that day but  I do remember thinking: How did she know?  She was downstairs.  I went and checked.  I even asked her that day.  Her reply, "I'm a mother I always know." 

I also believe she had eyes in the back of her head.  The child-side in my brain still believes she will always find out.  I can never hide from Mom!

To this day, I do not know how she knew what I was doing that day.  Did she hear me from the furnace vent?  Was my brother a spy? Did she have supernatural hearing?  I was pretty sure we did not have hidden surveillance cameras.

I used the same tactic on my son.  I always reminded him that I would eventually find out! 

My belief in my mother's all-knowing ability was a building block to develop my character and behavior.  It  also gave me a pattern to follow in my relationship with God.  He knows. He has always known.  He will always know.

Moses continues the geography lesson in Deuteronomy 3:15-17 in describing the boundaries of the land given to the Reubenites and Gadites.  One of the boundaries was the Arnon Gorge.  He adds that the middle of the gorge will be the border.

I work in an industry that relies on the exact location of boundaries.  There are disputes unless the boundary description is very accurate.  So that little parenthetical addition did not go unnoticed.

God knew that some day in the future there would be two groups who would lay claim to the entire gorge unless there were very specific instructions as to the exact location of the boundary.  He knows us too well!

I have been reminded that mothers know, from prior experience, that puppies and children will misbehave in similar patterns and that God knows us very well.  He  not only knows us from previous experience, He knows the future.  God does know it all.  God knows and yet still loves me, and you.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment