Saturday, October 19, 2013

Thanks, Dad


The first thing on my to-do list today is "Mail Birthday Card!"  I'm running late. My dad's birthday is Tuesday and it's Saturday.  The front of the card  has a cute overloaded station wagon and says, "Dad, remember those family trips?"

I choose it because my Dad planned many great and memorable vacations.  He has an adventurous spirit and can be spontaneous. So we would deviate from the main roads to visit Crater of the Moons or a an obscure historical marker or a surf board graveyard!  We camped.  We learned. We rode a lot in the car!

The inside of the birthday card says, "You sure packed my life with happy memories, Dad. Thanks."

It is no coincidence that today I read Deuteronomy 3:1-11. This is another story of a victory given to the Israelites by God.  They defeated King Og and all his army.  They completely destroyed them and carried off livestock and plunder.

In my notes I started a list: 

+Do not be afraid.  God sent the Israelites up against a people with over 60 cities, many of them with walls and gates with iron bars. God can do anything;

+Do the same. Just as they had defeated King Sihon and his army, God promised them victory  if they did  the same.  Doing the same means to be obedient;

+Look back at what God gave. 

Moses recounts a collection of facts . Some of which seemed mundane to me. There was a geography lesson.  A reference to Og being the last of the Raphaites, whoever they were.    

Then the description of Og's bed  made an impression on me. Og's bed was really big, 9 cubits by 4 cubits which is about 14 feet by 6 feet, and decorated with iron.  What an ego he must have had to need  a bed that big?  Apparently it was very sturdy as Moses told the Israelites it was still on display in Rabbah.

The Israelites had the good memory of defeating King Og.  God had given a victory over a guy with a big ego, a big army and a big bed!

The bed may have been constructed as a lasting memory of Og's power.  In the end, that big bed is a lasting memory of what God did!

What lasting accomplishments has God given me?

Today, as I mail the birthday card, I thank my earthly Dad for great memories.  Deuteronomy reminds me to thank my Heavenly Dad for the many memories of His accomplishments in my life!
 
"Thanks, God,  You sure packed my life with happy memories!"

No comments:

Post a Comment