Sunday, October 20, 2013

His dog


I have always said that if she were human I should be jealous.  Makena is Dick's dog.  Even though for years, I have been the one who trained her, fed her and got up with her at 5 am!  Yet her worship belongs to him!

She knows Dick choose her.  I remember the dark night we drove  to Ottumwa to pick out a puppy.  We both were excited and I remember asking,  "What color puppy do you want?"  When we arrived, he was surprised to find ten little black puppies.  Somehow out of ten almost identical puppies, he choose Makena.  She was shy and reticent but bonded to him, Mr. Excitement.  The next two days she sat on his shoulder like a kitten.  She has "had eyes for him" ever since.

I call her Dick's dog.  She is his really good and loyal friend.

I thought of her this morning when Moses was beginning the distribution of land in Deuteronomy 3:12-14.  In verse 14, he mentioned Jair, a descendant of Manasseh and the boundaries of his land.  Jair took possession of the land God gave and as Moses tells the Israelites "to this day" it is called Havvoth Jair.

Jair made an impression on the land, on Moses and on others such that the land still carried his name.

God has chosen me.  By grace, because I certainly have not earned or deserved it, God saw something in me and choose me.

If I allow God to possess my heart,

I will be known as God's child.  Shouldn't that be the goal of my life?    My life should reflect God's influence such that others will know I am His.

No comments:

Post a Comment