Tuesday, January 29, 2019

God Uses The Marks of Life



"Do not gaze at me because I am deeply tanned, (I have worked in) the sun; it has left its mark on me...." Song of Solomon1:6a The Amplified Bible

"That will leave a mark!"  The phrase has become a part of our colloquial sayings.  Perhaps in the beginning of its use, the phrase referred to an act which would result in impressive impact on history, like the hero changing the course of a battle.  Now a days, in comedy productions, the phrase is used more literally.  Someone chooses an ill-advised act which will result in a physical mark on the body.

The doctor told my mother that the mark on my nose would prevent me from being a model or any profession in front of the camera.  He had examined the result of my ill-advised problem solving.  I hated being called "Freckle Face".  I think the relatives used it as a term of endearment but I hated it.  So my five year old brain reasoned that if my mother's emery board could eliminate rough edges of fingernails, it certainly could remove freckles from my nose.  I did not  anticipate the pain nor the permanent red spot on the bridge of my nose!

When I read the sixth verse of the Song of Solomon I pondered how the world leaves marks on us, how my actions, both good and ill-advised, leave marks on me and how God uses the marks regardless of how obtained.

The doctor thought my cherry red spot would prevent me from enjoying certain careers.  He was right about it being very visible to the camera.  The spot is quite apparent in my childhood school pictures. (With our recent move I couldn't locate a childhood school picture!)

My sins mark me and prevent me from enjoying the deepest of relationships with God.  I choose unwisely, without considering the impact of my thoughts and actions on the future God has designed for me.

Yet my nose and this verse has reminded me of the amazing miracle of His love.  Jesus was The Sacrifice which paid the consequence for my sin.  His incomprehensible gift has given me the freedom to become a new person.  You see if you look closely at my nose today, no red spot is evident.  Somewhere in high school the spot just faded away.  No surgery. No treatment. It just disappeared.

God can make the marks of this world, including the results of my poor judgment, useful, beautiful and/or disappear. The marks serve as reminders, warnings or proof.

What marks has the world left on your life?  God is greater.

What marks have your own actions left on your life?  God is greater.

How we think of the marks will demonstrate our trust in God.  Let go of the effect of the mark.  Give Him the mark and its effect.  God is Greater than all those marks. 


2 comments: