Wednesday, January 2, 2019

Sound of Purple Makes Me Smile


Esther 1:6

"The garden had hangings of white and blue linen, fastened with cords of white linen and purple material to silver rings on marble pillars.  There were couches of gold and silver on a mosaic pavement of porphyry, marble, mother-of-pearl and other costly stones." NIV

"What is your favorite color?"  I would ask this often of the three year old.  I knew the answer.  She was consistent.  The answer was the same, every time I asked:  "Purple."  I always smiled.  Not because of the answer but because of the way this three year old pronounced "purple."  I could definitely hear the strong first syllable of "pur"  but the second syllable was a soft round "ple".  It makes me smile now to think on it.  I'm glad I asked the question often to enjoy the answer.  As the three year old has mastered the English language, her pronunciation changes to the customary sound.

The sixth verse in Esther was a challenge.  I ventured on a thought trail on "porphry".  I was surprised since I disliked 8th grade Earth Science.  I could never distinguish rocks. They all looked the same to me.  The internet told me porphry is a strong rock with a red purple color.  The word porphry is the root for our word purple.  I read more but it doesn't stay in my brain.  It feels like 8th grade again.

So I ventured on a thought trail on "purple" and  it's meaning. The color purple is associated with royalty and spirituality.

Then it dawned on me that the sound of purple makes me  smile.  My reflection on the three year old sound of purple led me to ask,  "What words from my mouth makes God smile?

Have you ever thought of what God would like to hear? God gets lists and lists of needs, concerns, tragedies, crises, drama and desperation.  Do I share anything that will make God smile?  I hope so.  If God would smile at one of my remarks, surely I'm having a great experience, too.

I hope  God smiles when I say "Oh Wow!"  Experiences which prompted "Oh Wow!"  include most sunsets, occasional sunrises, my first look at  the grandchild, my first step in my new home after a long wait..."

"Oh Wow" means other words fail me but God, thanks so much,  Amazing!

Perhaps I need to keep a journal of the times I say "Oh Wow!"  so  I'll remember to give God gratitude for those good and great moments  of life.

Take time today to ponder what sound makes you smile.  Then ask what words would make God smile.  Enjoy the good and great moments of today.



No comments:

Post a Comment