Thursday, January 30, 2014

Love God First


I've been pondering verses in Deuteronomy 10 for several minutes.  This section is one of my favorite parts of the book.  They talk about God, who He is and love.  These verses  have made me think of Deuteronomy as a book of love. 

I also noticed that my cross stitched Bible cover is looking really ratty.  I made it over 20 years ago.  I even have fond memories of working on it while Adam was at a soccer camp.   Those memories made me smile.  I saw the front was dirty and stained and the inside flaps wore through.  I may have another, I thought.  Yet this particular one has character.  It has memories.  I love this Bible cover.

In Chapter 10 verses 10 through  13 Moses reminds the people of God's expectations of them:  to fear (or revere) Him, to walk in all His ways, to love Him, to serve Him with all heart and soul and to observe His commands and decrees.  He reminds them it is for their own good.

Given a second chance after a great sin (the idol) what does God expect?  To revere and walk; to love and serve, with a good attitude in our heart and soul; to observe the commands. Love and obey.

Too often I try to do it in reverse.  I try to follow the rules, to obey, before I've remembered the love.  These verses remind me to fall in love with God because of His character of unconditional love and faithfulness.

In verses 14 through 19, Moses reminds the Israelites, and me, that God owns the heavens, the earth and everything in it .  (He is the Master of the Universe, even though my brain can't comprehend it .) God set His affection on the forefathers of the Israelites. (He chose me.)  So, Moses told them to circumcise their hears and not to be stiff-necked any longer. (Crack open my heart and don't be stubborn.) 

God is the God of gods,

the Lord of lords

the great and awesome,

the mighty,

shows no partiality

accepts no bribes

defends the fatherless and widows and

loves aliens.

Today I am reminded to fall in love with God's character in my times of need.  Don't be stubborn and demand that God act in accordance with my desires.  Remember the character of God, as He was in my past, as He is in my life today and with assurance that He will be the same in my future.

No comments:

Post a Comment