Sunday, January 19, 2014

Reputation and Confesssion


"We decided to come to your church because the people were the same in the grocery store as they were in church."  The compliment meant the church people were authentic and lived their faith daily and not just on Sunday.  

Our witness and reputation should attract others to relationship with God.  This is my conclusion after reading Deuteronomy 9:22-28.  Moses was retelling his intercessory prayer on behalf of the people after their sin of the golden calf.  He reminded God of the peoples' purpose:  to bring Him glory.  Moses pointed out  to God that if He destroyed the people for their sin, as they deserved, the other nations would think God had not been able to take the promised land.

Moses reminded God that He chose these people and brought them out of Egypt with His outstretched arm.

Moses reminds me how to confess my sin before God.  First, I should acknowledge that God is sovereign.  He is the one in control, not me. I should be specific and ask for forgiveness because I know God is good and I am stubborn. I should remember that I am delivered only because of God's good name and His reputation, not mine.  My confession begins and ends acknowledging God, not me.

 Just as the church people were authentic in their daily life, I shall be authentic in my confession. 

I will be:

submissive because God is Sovereign

specific, so I will know what not to do next time to keep my good reputation which reflects on God's reputation, and

secure.  I am secure because God sent His Son, Jesus, to pay the price for my sin. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment