Wednesday, January 8, 2014

The "Locker Room" Speech

I've never been an athlete but I've lived with athletes.  Thus I've been to enough sporting events to recognize the result of a motivating locker room speech.  I've seen the underdogs return to  the playing field eager and ready to even the lopsided score, in spite of their recent experience with the opposing team in the first half.

This morning Deuteronomy 9:1-3 felt like God's half time locker room speech.  The Israelites had conquered the Promised Land on one side of the Jordan and God was preparing them to cross the Jordan to take the other side.  The Israelites were not the underdogs.  They were the winners.  They had possession of part of the Promised Land.  They should be ready and charged up to take the other side. 

Yet, they were to face a psychological foe as well as a physical foe--the Anakites.  They thought the Anakites were tall and strong.  They thought their city walls reached to the sky.  Their reputation was that no one could stand against them.  God knew that the obstacle for the Israelites was the state of their mind.  The city walls really did not reach to the skies. It is so like us humans to exaggerate the true strength of an obstacle.  We focus on the obstacle's strength rather than God's power.  We lose focus on the source of our victory.  With God they had the physical ability to defeat a powerful foe.  The mission now was to convince them in their hearts and minds.

God addresses the physical obstacles.  Sure, it's the Anakites.  However, God promises them the victory because He will go ahead of them, like a devouring fire.  Then the Israelites will drive out the Anakites and annihilate them quickly.

Life has presented me with enough challenges to cultivate my very own "locker room" speech from God.  There has been diagnosis', changes, losses and disasters.  I keep a couple of verses tucked in my heart for these times.  My two favorites come from Joshua 1:9 and Isaiah 41:10.  Be  strong and courageous, God will be with me wherever and God holds my right hand so I will not fear. (Those are my paraphrases.)

I have learned when faced with these challenges that I need to prayerfully make a plan and hold diligently to God's hand.  I remember preparing for my weeks of radiation.  I laid in supplies (stocked the frig and pantry with food).  I scheduled my day, including my devotional time, rest and work.  Then I followed the plan knowing God never left my side.  (Neither did my husband!)

I need the security of routine and a plan when facing life but more important in facing Life is holding God's hand.  He will never leave.   The routine makes me remember that the situation in "under control."  Occasionally I think I am in control, but truthfully God is in control.  I let the routine remind me.  He is in control, I just need to trust Him and follow the plan.
OK Life here I come.  I have a plan (from God) and I'm holding His hand!

No comments:

Post a Comment