Friday, January 3, 2014

Clearly


"Let me be clear."  Currently this is a commonly used phrase by politicians.  It serves as a "grab your attention" prelude to an important sentence.
Today it is the phrase that I would use in my vernacular paraphrase of the verses in Deuteronomy 8:6-18. In my mind, God says "Let me be clear about our relationship as you enter the Promised Land."
God describes the bounty of the new land.  It will be a productive land, with flowing springs and mineral deposits.  He begins the description with instructions on how to live:  observe His commands, walk in His ways and revere Him.
He gives a lengthy warning of "what if".  It's more than a warning.  In hindsight, it is a prediction.  It's like God knows the Israelites too well.  He warns that when they have feasted of the land and become satisfied not to forget the source by failing to follow His ways.  He knows that the Israelites will have selective memories and think it was their power and strength that produced the satisfying lifestyle.
Ouch! The warning sounds too familiar.  How often have I taken credit for a success that really was a provision from God?  In the world today, we are too inclined to believe it is by our might and strength that we achieve and we ask God to bless it and put His mark on it.  Yet when success is not quite achieved we are quick to blame God.
God is very clear with the verbs in verse six.  Observing and daily walking God's commands gets me into the Promised Land and will keep me in the Promised Land.  My life will continue to be more than satisfying. Revering God, submitting to His attention and leading, remembering that my daily needs and wants are provided my God, will keep perspective on myself and  on God.  This will keep me humble.
With the comparison of the more than satisfying life with God to life under my direction, I have a clear choice.  I choose to observe God's commands.  I choose to walk with God and I choose to follow His direction.
When I choose God's way, not my way, I have a clear path, a clear mind and a clear relationship with God.  God cleared the path so I could settle in and live clearheaded. "I can see clearly now....I can see all obstacles in my way"  (from the lyrics of a 1972 song by Johnny Nash).  Too often I am the biggest obstacle!
C ling to God's ways
L ove God before self
E xpect God to provide and more
A dhere to God's way daily
R each out to God when I step off the path and try it on my own.
Good news:  God still loves me when I try it on my own and is ready to lead me when I am ready to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment