Tuesday, December 31, 2013

All the way


I had a significant birthday.  I have reached the time in life when I am almost proud of how old I really am! While I am definitely looking into the future and  many more years on earth, it is also the time in life when one looks back on life.  This state of mind guided my thoughts on Deuteronomy 8:2-4.

The Israelites were reminded that God led them ALL the way in the 40 year desert period.  He fed them with the strange new manna, kept their clothes from wearing out and their feet from swelling. God even told them why, to humble them and to know their hearts.

Life's journey, with its bumps, hurdles and obstacles, humbles me and teaches me about myself, the world and God.

It may seem that the trials of life are tests from God to determine the state of my heart.  Yet I know God knows the true state of my heart.  The one who needs to know the true state of my heart is me.  The trials of life teach me that I am not the center of the universe.  It is not all about me.

"You think you have it bad until you hear someone else's troubles."  My friend, Iona, taught me to keep life's trials in perspective.  In the handful of years I had the privilege to know her, Iona lost her husband to lung cancer and survived breast cancer with a long series of treatments.  When she spoke these words of wisdom for me, she was in the hospital dealing with her final battle with a brain tumor.  Dick and I were making the hospital visits.  We had shared with her that another church member was in the same hospital facing her final battle with breast cancer.  She would leave her husband and three young girls.

Iona's wisdom and perspective has humbled me.  She saw the other woman's tragedy as greater than hers.   I hope to life up to Iona's code of humility and wisdom.

The trials of life also teach me that most likely, I will fail to live up to my own goal of humility.  Thus the trials of life teach me that I need a savior.  I know I will possibly fail.  God knows that also.  God loves me so much He made the way for me to learn and live Life as He has destined.  Jesus came to save me from my failed attempts to live life on my own.

Today, again, I am reminded that God knows it All and is truly with me through it All.  God has given me the provision I need in life and He has been with me and will be with me ALL the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment