Tuesday, July 16, 2019

Trust in soil, hope for survival

“GOD is serious business. He won’t be trifled with. He avenges his foes. He stands up against his enemies, fierce and raging. But GOD doesn’t lose his temper. He’s powerful, but it’s a patient power. Still, no one gets by with anything. Sooner or later, everyone pays. Tornadoes and hurricanes are the wake of his passage, Storm clouds are the dust he shakes off his feet. He yells at the sea: It dries up. All the rivers run dry. The Bashan and Carmel mountains shrivel, the Lebanon orchards shrivel. Mountains quake in their roots, hills dissolve into mud flats. Earth shakes in fear of GOD. The whole world’s in a panic. Who can face such towering anger? Who can stand up to this fierce rage? His anger spills out like a river of lava, his fury shatters boulders.”
‭‭Nahum‬ ‭1:2-6‬ ‭MSG‬‬
https://www.bible.com/97/nam.1.2-6.msg

This is a Maui silver sword plant.  Whenever I see one, I pray for it's survival.

This is the only place the Maui silver sword plant lives. Amazing!  It's only home is among the volcanic rocks and soil, a couple miles above the sea.  Need I mention?  It's on the threatened list.

It's threatened yet reminds me of hope.  I lived through an earthquake and a tornado.  Sometimes my life feels like the volcano could erupt into chaos.  I look to the  sturdy Maui silver sword for encouragement. The Maui silver sword continues to root itself in the familiar and unique soil to persevere and survive.

Nahum 1:6 is part of the Lord's condemnation of the fallen Ninevites.  Nahum reminds them that The Lord is jealous and avenging.  He may be slow to anger but will not leave the unjust unpunished.

I have been meditating in the prophets for quite a while and needed one more verse.  In verse 7 I find my inspiration for the day.

“The Lord is good, a refuge in times of trouble. He cares for those who trust in him,”
‭‭Nahum‬ ‭1:7‬ ‭NIV‬‬
https://www.bible.com/111/nam.1.7.niv

That's when I thought of my inspiration, the Maui silver sword plant, continuing to root itself in the volcanic soil.  It's not an environment I would pick yet I marvel and enjoy it's beauty in contrast to the desolation.  The Maui silver sword lives atop a dominant volcano.  Apparently, the Maui silver sword isn't worried.  Its real threat is from tourists and goats, not the volcano.

So when my world looks like this...

I will remember the promise in Nahum,  God is good.  God is my refuge.  God cares for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment