Sunday, July 7, 2019

God: Hey you, I've got this!

“But how Esau will be ransacked, his hidden treasures pillaged!”
‭‭Obadiah‬ ‭1:6‬ ‭NIV‬‬
https://www.bible.com/111/oba.1.6.niv

Warning small children may find this blog disturbing!


I have triumphed over this hungry caterpillar!

As soon as the jalapeño pepper plant arrived  I knew something was eating holes in the leaves.  Each morning I checked the status of my plant.  I did internet research but still couldn't discover the culprit.  A few days ago he revealed himself.  One big (the size of my little finger), strong(had such a firm grip on the branch to dissuade my plucking), and hungry caterpillar.

I knew he had to go!  Since his grip on the branch was resistant to my tug, I summoned my trusty all purpose shears, clipped the entire branch, walked to the fence and threw him over!  That will cure my problem.

Yet caterpillars are more resilient than I realized.  The very next morning he reappeared gripping a branch that he had totally stripped of leaf.  Again the trusty shears removed him and stripped branch.  He exited this world with a final flush!

Obadiah verse six (it's such a short book it doesn't need chapters) made me think of hidden treasures, both good and bad.  In verse 6 God, through Obadiah, is calling out the people descended from Esau.  The people of Edom were Esau's descendants.  The Israelites descended from Jacob, Esau's twinbrother.  Through the years the Edomites had taken advantage of the Israelites' hard times rather than aiding in times of need as one might expect of family.

Obadiah's prophesy of Edom's approaching pillage reminds me that God knows the slights and betrayals and He will administer justice.  I am reassured that God knows about the unjust treatment, the family betrayal, the sneering and mocking, the haughty pride and the "privileged" looks.  No need to devise retribution or vindication, God has it handled.  And He will handle it so much better.

It may seem the greedy world triumphs but God is greater (better than my trusty all purpose shears).  Verse 6 reminds me not to hold onto the slights, betrayal and injustices.

God says to us: Hey, I've got this!

No comments:

Post a Comment