Monday, July 15, 2019

It is about the proper foundation

““Therefore I will make Samaria a heap of rubble, a place for planting vineyards. I will pour her stones into the valley and lay bare her foundations.”
‭‭Micah‬ ‭1:6‬ ‭NIV‬‬
https://www.bible.com/111/mic.1.6.niv

"What brought you to Iowa?"  The question often was asked of me during appointments where I worked. My response was simple.  "God."  I'd go onto explain my husband was the pastor of one of the churches in town.  I took the opportunity to expose the foundation of my life.

I pondered the importance of proper foundation when I read Micah 1:6.  God warned the Samaritans that He planned to expose their foundation, In The Message the foundation was described as abandoned.

As a young woman I recall, the discussion on proper underwear being the basis of proper dress.  As a homeowner, I learned proper care and maintenance of the foundation to prolong the life of my home.  As a quilter I know being precise in the cutting and positioning at the beginning of a project means it all fits at the end!




I recently finished another quilt of my favorite patterns.  It starts with one of my least favorite steps;  drawing a tedious grid. While I enjoy this pattern because it is "quite forgiving" (Meaning accuracy can be less precise), if I am not precise with the beginning step of the dreaded grid, the end result suffers.

The development and care of spiritual life is, likewise, crucial to our survival in this crazy, chaotic world.   This verse in Micah challenges me to examine my care and feeding of my spiritual life such that I won't fear it being exposed.

Take time today, and each day, to care for your spiritual foundation.  It might be tedious and seem time consuming but in the end, the pieces of life will "fit together", perhaps like my quilt!

No comments:

Post a Comment