Tuesday, July 9, 2019

Trouble? Pray First, Prevent Some Turmoil!

One of my all-time favorite commercials featured a person smacking their forehead and exclaiming "I should have had a V-8!"  This proclamation came after they'd had a less satisfying beverage.  "I should have..."  and a forehead smack has been the reminder of a valuable life lesson.

“The captain went to him and said, “How can you sleep? Get up and call on your god! Maybe he will take notice of us so that we will not perish.””
‭‭Jonah‬ ‭1:6‬ ‭NIV‬‬
https://www.bible.com/111/jon.1.6.niv

The prophet Jonah is avoiding a directive from God.  He was told to go to Nineveh and preach. Jonah, instead, took a boat in the opposite direction.  While Jonah slept, a great storm threatened the boat and all on board.  All the sailors called upon their gods for relief.  They threw cargo overboard to lighten the vessel.  They wakened Jonah to be sure he had called upon his god.  Then they cast lots.

It's a confusing practice-casting lots.  The dice did reveal the answer to their distress- Jonah was disobeying a direct order from God.  Jonah knew exactly what the issue was and the answer to the sailors' distress.  They threw him overboard. The sea calmed.  A great fish swallowed Jonah for his protection. 

I like to think I am the captain of my life.  Jonah's story reminded me of my favorite commercial and the fact that I'm not a good captain.  There is a much more able captain of my "life boat."  I should follow God's directions first and save myself some time and turmoil.

Too often we pray for God's enlightenment after our attempts to deal have failed.  How many times have I smacked my forehead and thought, "I should have prayed first!"

Good news:  God will be with us whether we pray first or last but praying first will save us some time and turmoil (it would have saved the cargo!)


No comments:

Post a Comment