Saturday, May 28, 2016

Why I Wore A Dress



"First the teacher explained the rules in the classroom. Then we had an assembly and the principal explained the school rules. Then we went out to recess and they explained the playground rules.  Then I came home."  I had interviewed a kindergartener on his first day of school.  I summed up his first day as a whole lot of rules.  I was a little sad that his innocent free spirited life was now full of rules.

As Jesus, the disciples and a large crowd left Jericho a blind man, the Son of Timaeus, called out to Jesus, the Son of David.  "Have mercy on me!"  Many people rebuked Bartimaeus. So Bartimaeus shouted louder.  Jesus stopped and had them call to him.  "Cheer up! On your feet: He's calling!

When Jesus asked Bartimaeus what he wanted Him to do, Bartimaeus proclaimed, "I want to see."  Jesus said, "Go, your faith has healed you."  The blind man immediately received his sight and followed Jesus along the road. (Mark 10:46-52)

Apparently Bartimaeus had violated a rule.  The "many" felt they  had to protect Jesus and scolded the blind man. Maybe they were on a tight schedule or they thought it was bad for Jesus' image to interact with a roadside someone.  Maybe Bartimaeus was loud and they wanted to keep His travels a secret.  Sometimes, as followers of Jesus, we make a whole lot of rules.  Didn't they realize Jesus was The Rule and The Ruler.  If any rules needed making, He was the One to make them.

I've been known to violate a few rules.  If I can't see the value, I may ignore a rule.  I have always been a free spirit in my choice of attire.  So much so that two wise and dear older women advised that "they will listen to you if you wear a dress."  As much as I wanted to be accepted for my true self and wear blue jeans, I wanted to be heard and not be an obstacle.  I acquiesced and  when I really had to, I wore a dress.  I submitted not to win my point but because I dearly loved Maggie and Mae.  They had made a special effort to know me and encourage me.  I submitted because they loved me,  accepted me and wanted the best for me.

Today as I read the Gospel of Mark, I wonder what rules believers have made up to protect the faith.  Did Jesus really need other people to protect and preserve Him and His message? Can belief be legislated with rules?  Belief comes from the heart.

Jesus came  to change hearts.  I know He changed my heart.  He didn't win my heart with rules, but with love, acceptance and encouragement.

 Won't we attract more to Jesus (which is "kinda" why we are left on earth) by loving, accepting and encouraging?  Shouldn't I strive less to rule and more to love?


No comments:

Post a Comment