Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Surprised by the donkey?

Surprised by the photo? Did the photo make you smile?  My folks are photographers and travel to weekend art shows.  They have quite a collection of animals, barns, flowers, scenery and outhouses.  The surprising "big sellers" in the past has been donkeys!

I use this shameless commercial of a photo because as I read Mark 11:1-6 I got into the "hooves" of the colt.  Jesus and the disciples were on approach to Jerusalem.  He sent two of the disciples into the village with  instructions to bring Him the colt tied up at a doorway.  If anyone asked why they were taking the colt who had never been ridden, their response was to be that "The Lord needs it."

The first time this colt was ever ridden was by Jesus and in a huge parade.  I wonder if the colt was nervous about its "first time."  Was it overwhelmed by the spectacle of Jesus entry into Jerusalem?
I admit I give animals more intelligence than most people. But I think I can be reassured from the colt's first time experience.

·         The colt was not alone.  First and foremost, Jesus was literally at the reins.  The other gospels tell me that the colt's mother came along.

·         The colt didn't need to know the purpose of the ride or the end result.  The colt's job was to carry Jesus and obey His hands on the reins.

·         The colt may seem insignificant but had a very important message.  In those days riding into the city on a colt meant victory and peace.  In one article I read the donkey was a symbol of humility, simplicity and long suffering.

·         When Jesus' calls, it may be a surprise.  It may be scary and seem meaningless.  Yet the Lord needs it.

The Lord needs us.  (And if we refuse or neglect His call, He will find someone else.)  We are often called to a job for the Lord.  It may be the first time to do something. But I am not alone.  Jesus is with me, guiding me with His hands on the reins, and maybe someone who has some experience (like the colt's mother) is with me. 

Some think the donkey as stubborn and not a smart animal.  I have loved a few stubborn dogs and I think the stubbornness means they are too smart for their own good.  Their intelligence prevents their obedience.  Will I let Jesus guide and direct me?  Will I follow His lead or try  to have a better idea?

This job for Jesus may seem insignificant but it is critical to the "Big Picture", the greater mission of Jesus in our world.  We have the  privilege to carry the message of peace and victory.  Do I carry the message of God's redeeming love with humility, simplicity and patience?

I have a simple thought for today:  "If the Lord needs me, it's time to get my donkey on!"


No comments:

Post a Comment