Sunday, May 22, 2016

Barely a Sport Fan

Note: Everyone else is wearing team colors.  I opted for comfort and style!

Technology has aided sports fans deal with the pressure.  I hang out with several types of passionate sports fans.  Their passion for the team creates tension.  But the advance of recording sporting events has given them options to handle the stress.

These passionate fans fall into three categories based on knowing the end result:

§  Never know the end.  I know people who zealously protect their ignorance of the final score while they watch the recorded event.  They want to enjoy the journey and hopefully rejoice at the conclusion.

§  Need to know the end.  The pressure will be eased if this fan knows the end result.  Then he can enjoy the journey even if the final score is a loss. 

§  Total avoidance.  It's just too stressful to watch.  These fans just read about it the next day.

I wonder if we all fall into these categories when we face the challenges of life.  I think  I am in the "ignorance is bliss" category.  I don't really want to know what will happen.    Rarely do I think "if I'd only known" because I'm not confident I would have made different decisions even if I'd known the end result.  If I know too much about the procedure or process I'm too stressed to cope with the present.

In Mark 10: 32-35 Jesus gave the disciples the basic schedule of the events, including the final score.  The people following Jesus on His way to Jerusalem were afraid.  The disciples were astonished. 

Jesus made it plain.  He'd been making it plain to The 12 since Chapter 8 in Mark.  The  Son of Man will be betrayed to the religious leaders.  They will condemn Him to death.  He will be handed over to the Gentiles. The Gentiles will mock Him, spit on Him, flog Him and kill Him.  Three days later He will arise.

The people may have been afraid since they assumed trouble awaited in Jerusalem.  The disciples may have been astonished that Jesus was going in spite of knowing exactly what was going to happen.  I was curious if there was a difference between afraid and astonished. In my mind there was no difference as both Greek words used in the passage are defined as terrified and afraid.

Jesus knew The 12 were going to experience difficult days.  He was preparing them with the basic schedule of events and the final score!  He hoped the important words, "3 days later He will rise", would comfort them through the stress and grief.

I rarely know the end result of the tensions and tragedies of my life.  I often think "do I really what to know?"  Would knowing really help?  These verses in Mark give me some guidance for living through life's unchosen events:

à        Jesus leads the way.  He led The 12 to Jerusalem and He leads me through life, if I let Him.

à        Jesus knows exactly what will happen.  I don't need to know or even want to know.  The Most Powerful One knows and is in control of what will happen.

à        Jesus wins. He conquered death! I'm on the winning side. 


In the "Big Game of Life" I may think I'm playing to win my way to Eternal Life with God.  The Game has already been won for me- Jesus did that when He died and rose from the dead.  How I experience the earthly journey is my choice. I can stress and strive or I can trust and enjoy.  I know the ending. I need to enjoy the journey.

E ntrust
N eeds and experiences to
J esus
O nly let Him control

Y our passion for life.

No comments:

Post a Comment