Thursday, February 27, 2014

Advice from Mama Bird


When baby birds leave the nest, do momma birds give them The Talk?  When I read Deuteronomy 12:29-32 made me "flash back" to a couple of "leaving the nest" talks.  My dad cautioned me when leaving for college with my car that people would want to borrow it, so choose wisely.  When my fifteen year old son was about to leave for an international trip, I reminded him that just because something was legal and available where he was going, there would be consequences when he came home.

My dad and I had been there before and were giving some advice for living in new circumstances, with new freedoms and choices.  God had gone before the Israelites to procure the Promised Land.  He would provide the opportunity to possess the Promised Land but it came with some "B's."

But.  When freedom and more choice is made available, my dad and I both knew that we think we can use "but" to avoid blame for errors in judgment. God knows us and gives the Israelites some advance cautions.  God knew the Israelites would become comfortable living in their new circumstances and try to use excuses not to travel to the place God would choose to put His Name (the place to come to meet with Him and worship).  He tells them:  "But do take your consecrated things and your vows to The Place."  (That's definitely a Jan translation.)

Be careful.  Just because the current inhabitants worship their gods in a particular fashion, do not worship God in the same way as them.  "Just because everyone around you is doing it doesn't make it right for you."  (That sounds like what my mother said to me and what I said as a mother!)

Because.  In my family we always want to know Why?  Here God tells the Israelites the reason:  What  those other people do is detestable and God wants it to go well for them and for their children.  God wants the best for the Israelites and their children, just like us mama and daddy birds.

These verses remind me that to live God's way is the right way and it will go well with me.  He knows what Life is like  outside the nest.  He gives me warnings and preventions.  No excuse of mine will make it right.  I should heed God's advice and live the right way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment