Monday, February 10, 2014

Daily Explanations are good


I'm up early and watching a sports station!  I know, it's most unusual that I would voluntarily and enthusiastically choose an all sports station.  It's the Olympics and I enjoy watching hockey.  It's practically the only time I watch hockey.  I'll confess that I really watch hockey for the celebration of a scored goal and... for the fights! They keep my attention in a game I just barely understand. 

This morning I realized that I'm missing one important component to my Olympic hockey experience--an explanation of  "icing."  I have to ask for an explanation, at least once a game, if not more than once.  My brain can't seem to file the explanation and understand it.  So in most cases my husband patiently explains the rule, again and again.  He grew up playing hockey.  I came to the game late in life.

Today as I read Deuteronomy 11:8-15 I was reminded that I have a faithful and dependable interpreter available to me at all times.  The Holy Spirit will explain, again and again, God's love and law.   With the Spirit's  constant presence and enlightenment I  will hear a message from God through the Bible whenever I seek it.

I realized when I read these verses I quickly jotted in the margin my understanding and application for my life today.

My understanding
The verse- in my paraphrase
1. Since I have seen with my own eyes
Therefore - v 8
2. Obedience gives me strength for the journey of life
Observe all commands so you may have the strength to go in and take over the land and live long in the Promised Land- v 8-9
3. Life will be different from what you've known
The Promised Land is not like Egypt, where you irrigated crops like a vegetable garden.  There will be mountains and valleys that drink God's rain. v 10-11
4. God is faithful, so I should be faithful
God cares for the land and continually watches over it. So if you faithfully obey... v 12-13a
5. My mission is to love God and serve Him with my heart and soul
God's command is to love and serve with heart and soul. v 13
6.  God will provide for me
God will send rain so the grain will grow and there will be wine, oil and cattle. v 14-15a
7. I will be satisfied
You will eat and be satisfied. v 15b
 
 

 

The  Spirit has once again given me the game plan for my life today.  I have instructions on how to go through the day and what my attitude should be.  My day might be different than I plan, but it will be better due to God's constant care.  I even know that if I follow His plan, I will be satisfied.  I think I am now ready to face my day!

I wonder if it's too early to call my husband for his umpteenth explanation of icing!

No comments:

Post a Comment