Monday, February 17, 2014

The Spring Snowstorm


Saturday I stepped out into the cold expecting the beauty and quiet of falling snow.  Yet I was amazed.  Thousands of birds were chirping, chirping, chirping.  I stood for several minutes to listen.  I left when I got too cold but the birds were still chirping their hearts out!

Perhaps the birds were singing of the promise of spring.  They joined together in a huge community to plan for spring, to get excited about the coming of spring.  Most of us facing yet another 3 inch snowfall today can't picture spring, yet the birds reminded me that spring will come.  It always does.  Spring will bring a new way of life.  It will bring joy and contentment.

I thought of this experience when I reflected on my notes on Deuteronomy 12:1-14.  Even though these verses sound like a list of "must do's" and "must nots", I saw the promise of the promised land. This section begins with the caution to be diligent to follow God's decrees and to completely destroy the other nations' worship places (must do's).  Clearly Moses said not to worship God in the way the other nations' worship their gods (must not).  The Israelites are to seek the place God chooses to worship.  In that place they are to bring their tithes, gifts, sacrifices, offerings and promises to God (must do).  In that place the families are to eat and rejoice because God has blessed.

These verses remind me that the Promised Land is not like the world around me, where everyone does as they see fit. The Promised Land is a place of rest, of joy and contentment.

These verses also remind me of my church experience.  My church family is  not like the world around me.  We are a community.  It is a  place to give and receive.  It is a safe place and will remind me that God has blessed me with promises, today and in my future.   Worship together reminds me that God gives me the true desires of my heart, joy, contentment and the future.

I've peeked out the back door.  I hear  the start of freezing rain.  No birds singing.  Still my heart is smiling  from my worship experience yesterday and this morning.  Spring will come.  The seasons faithfully arrive and so do God's promises of joy, contentment and my future.

The weather report for today is a "wintery mix," freezing rain, snow and a high of 41 degrees!  Sounds a bit like daily life, challenges, concerns and God's blessings.  So do I wear long underwear today, or not?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment