Sunday, December 1, 2013

Light the fire


My study buddies have a new love.  The puppies have discovered the gas fireplace.  Now they spend their play time and nap in front of the fireplace. When it is not lit, Molly stares at it, hoping she can get it to "fire up."  As she warms in front of the fireplace she is almost in a trance.  To get her to come, I no longer use the bribe of "treat", I just say "I have the fire on."  The fireplace has distracted the puppies from me.

I pondered this distraction when I read Deuteronomy 6:13-19. These verses are a great list for living the Christian life: 

Fear the Lord or Deeply respect God from the Amplified version;

Serve Him only;

Take oaths in His name or Backup promises with Him from the Amplified;

Don't follow the gods of the people around you or Don't fool around with other gods;

Don't test God, carefully keep His commands, stipulations and decrees;

Do what is right in God's sight and it will go well with you in the Promised Land.

'Tis the season to get distracted from the reason for the season.  I have already been distracted by travel, food, decorating, parties and my life in general.

In these verses in Deuteronomy I hear God calling me to carefully follow Him.  I hear "don't be distracted" and "Don't fool around with the gods of the world." I hear God calling me to "light the fire."

Christmas is my favorite time of year--the gifts, family and the wonder of Jesus coming to earth.  I anticipate the moment that Christmas "falls on me".  Sometimes it's during a carol. Sometimes it's a scripture. Sometimes during the children's program.  Each year it's different. There is a moment when I am overwhelmed with the knowledge that God loved me, and you, enough to bridge the divide and be the vehicle so you and I could have a personal relationship with The One and Only God. 

OK, Christmas holidays, I'm ready.  My attention has been refocused on the Reason for the Season.  I think Christmas just "fell" on me in a very surprising way--Deuteronomy!

No comments:

Post a Comment