Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Share the Reason


"Thanks for being on standby for the puppies." I texted my friend yesterday.  I was flying home and have enough experience flying to know arrival times are often just suggestions.  I wanted to be prepared in the event my flight was delayed and I was too late to pick up the pups at the boarding kennel.  I had asked my friend to be my "umbrella".  Whenever I carry an umbrella it never rains.  It pours on me when I leave the umbrella in the car!

Deuteronomy 6:20-25 reminded me to be prepared.  Moses told the Israelites to be ready to share when children ask why?  Kids will always ask "Why" when it comes to rules.  Too often I have not been prepared for "Why" and have to  use the standard, "I'm the Mom and I say so."

These verses remind me of I Peter 3:15 - Always be prepared to give the reason for your hope and do it with gentleness, respect and a clear conscience, or honestly.  (My paraphrase).

There is an outline in these verses to answer the question for the Israelites' lifestyle of following God's rules.

1.  We were slaves.

2. God brought us out with miracles.

3. God brought us to the Promised Land.

4. We follow these rules so we will have a better life.

Often we are asked  why we believe and follow God.  I Peter 3:15 reminds me to be ready.  The outline in Deuteronomy helps organize my response to the question of Why I have Hope.

1.  Before I knew God I was...

2.  I knew needed a Savior when...

3.  My life is better now that I  have decided to follow Jesus....

4.  I live my life to serve  God and yet I know that I can't earn it by following the rules.  Jesus paid the price for my sins.  He was righteous so I could be in right standing before God.

When someone asks you why you believe, they rarely will give you time for a ten page paper on your life story.  At best you will have their attention for about four sentences.  I often practice a testimony in my head, or paper, using similar sentences that I finish.   How I complete the sentences is a reflection of the current circumstances in my life.  I don't always go back to the beginning of my belief in Jesus as my Savior.  Often my response includes current struggles and hopes.

Tis the season when Hope came to the earth.  Jesus came as a baby so I could relate, so I could begin to understand, so I would have the privilege of relationship with God.   

The Israelites tried to follow the rules just as I try to follow the rules.  Yet they were human just like me and failed.  They needed a Savior just like me.  Jesus is the One who gave  and still gives me the opportunity to have a friend that really knows about me and my life; gives me a better life than I could  have orchestrated and  a post earth destination. 

During this season of Hope, I plan to be ready to share the answer to the question, "Why do you have Hope?"

1 comment:

  1. Thank you. i need to prepare to verbalize my reason for hope. I tried to explain the reason for certain rules every time to my first child-- but then i heard about the need for instant obedience in times of physical danger. i think it takes a combination of explanation and command while raising children. Carole Sprague

    ReplyDelete