Monday, December 9, 2013

Just because


"Turn to each other and tell why you love him."  My mind went blank.  I was in love and knew it.  It was one of life's mysteries.  The realization had hit me one day (taking a shower and reflecting on my life) and I knew I was in love and he was the one.  Now I was to explain it in words.   It was our first session in premarital counseling.

I'm sure my first words were "just because I do" and then I started a trite list of "you gave me a puppy" and so on.

I love you just because.  Love and its reasons and choices cannot always be explained in a logical manner.    Many times I've said I love and I'm not sure why but I've been sure of my choice.

Now after many years with Dick I can list many reasons why I continue to love him.  He has brought out the best person in me.  He has been faithful to me.  I am sure of his love for all of these years.

Throughout the years, I have made choices to put our relationship first.  Many in the world thought it illogical.   I happen to believe that love should be protected.

Sometimes we can't explain why.  We just know, just because....

I happen to like the response "I love just because."  God said it to the Israelites in Deuteronomy 7:7-11.  He reminded them it wasn't because they were a numerous people.  It was just because He loved them and He was faithful to His promise to their ancestors.

I can't explain why God loves me.  I just know He does.  The Bible has told me.  My life experiences have shown me.  Yet, at the end of the day, I just know.

God has also shown Himself to be faithful.  Countless times in my life I have realized that I was not alone in my circumstance.  God was there and knew how I felt.

In response, I am to be careful and protect that relationship.  God has given me guidance, in the Bible, on  how to live my life and become a better person.  The world will tempt me with cheap imitations of guidance, faithfulness and love.  God is the real experience of  love. 

Many years ago I didn't know I would become a better person as a result of my marriage to Dick Sipe.  Looking back, I know I am today. 

God has seen something in me that He sees as valuable.  I am and will be a better person as I carefully follow His ways.

Thanks for loving me, just because.

No comments:

Post a Comment