Monday, November 25, 2013

Tomorrow

In  Deuteronomy 6:10-12,Moses reminds the Israelites that they are entering a land to live in cities they did not build with crops they did not plant.  God had already provided them with food and shelter.  He also warns them to be careful not to forget  that it was God who created this opportunity.  God freed them from slavery and led them to the Promised Land.

My paraphrase for these verses:  Remember when life is good from where that good life came, not you but God.

I thought these were appropriate Thanksgiving season thoughts.  God has blessed our lives with much we do not earn or deserve.  The Pilgrims remembered that it was God who provided them in their new home.  I found this quote from their governor in 1623:

"...as the great Father has given us this year an abundant harvest of Indian corn, wheat, peas, squashes and garden vegetables, and made the forest to abound with game and the sea with fish and clams, and inasmuch as he has protected us from the ravages of the savages, has spared us from the pestilence and granted us freedom to worship God according to the dictates of our own conscience."

I was impressed that he was specific and remembered well- from the specific list of the crops, the sources, the deliverance and the opportunity for life free from oppression.

 I spent a few days pondering my life and my Promised Land.  I spent some time wondering through Psalms about thanksgiving. I read my favorite, Psalm 24 because it reminded me that God created it all and He is SO Worth my praise for this world that I am given to live and learn. 

I wondered what was my Promised Land. Most often we think in the physical location as the Israelites.  Is my Promised Land where I live?  Perhaps and probably.

Yet as I sat in the congregation at a friend's funeral this week, it occurred to me that tomorrow when I wake up that day will be my Promised Land.  Tomorrow is available to me and I didn't build it or earn it.   God gives it to me to use for myself and to bring Him Glory.  At the end of tomorrow I need to remember that it was God who gave me the day, my Promised Land.  Another day is good and God gave it to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment