Thursday, November 21, 2013

The Book Tree


I'm in a new project mode.  I get caught up in a new creative project and it's all I can think about.

My current project is to make a tree out of an old book.  It has been on my mind for quite awhile.  I couldn't bring myself to sacrifice a book.  Then when I was in the basement. There it was, a book I didn't care for when I read it and it was dusty.  I thought that will go in the trash.  Aha!  I'd found the sacrifice!

Yesterday  I watched the tutorial and tore into the book.  The folding was brief and painless.  I only burned my finger on the glue gun once.  I even came up with the idea  to recycle old Christmas cards into the star on the top of the tree. (Good news, honey, I used up a dozen of those hundreds of cards I've been saving!)

Now I can hardly wait to get to the store to buy glitter to finish my project.  I'm on the hunt for more books.  I'm thinking of how I can take this project on my next trip.

I've already given the endorsement of "Stinking cute."  Do you agree?


 

I was convicted this morning as I read Deuteronomy 6: 4-9.  My paraphrase of the verses included:

"Listen, I know your name and I'm talking to you.  I am The One.  Love God above all you desire, above your life, above your personality.  These commandments are to be your desire, your life, your personality.  Let them consume your day."

I realized that my creative projects too often consume my thinking, my time and my talk.  I'll get up early to work on my latest project.    I'll think about it when I drive, coming up with my own creative improvements to the pattern.  If I don' t have a supply, I'll go immediately to procure it.

It consumes my thinking,

                                                my time, and

                                                                my talk.

What if creating my relationship with God consumed

                my thinking,

                                my time, and

                                                my talk?

No comments:

Post a Comment