Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Benefits


"Thank you for sharing but your belief system doesn't offer me anything.  I have what I need in my belief."  I had listened patiently to the lady at my door as she did her presentation.  Then I shared my faith in Jesus and how I knew where I would spend eternity.

I had two bullet points in my journal as I read Deuteronomy 6:1-3:

-Obedience benefits my family.  Moses reminded the Israelites  that it would go well with them and their children if they followed God's commands, laws and decrees.

-Obedience leads to benefits.  This made me think on "What does obedience to God offer?"

Brainstorming from these verses I listed:

An enjoyable life for me

An enjoyable life for my children and grandchildren

Increase in life- might be materially or in relationships.

I made a short list of the benefits for me as a result of obeying God.  I remembered that encounter at my front door.  I rejoiced when I remembered she made me realize I didn't have to work or wonder if I was one of the chosen.  I know I have been chosen.   Countless verses in the Bible as well as my experiences with God have proven to me that for some reason God wants a relationship with me and He picked me. (2Thessalonians 2:13)

I know that I don't control all the circumstances of my life.  I also know that this life is not all of my life.  This world is just my temporary home.  The best part of life is yet to come and it will be better than my little human brain  can comprehend.(Philippians 3:20)

I have a purpose in a world of people that don't know the meaning of life.  My purpose is to have a relationship with God, to bring Him glory through my life.  I may not understand all that happens but God does.  God has a purpose for my life and it's a good one.  (Jeremiah 29:11)

These were just three benefits I thought of early in the morning.  If I paid attention to God's work in my life throughout the day the list would be so much longer.

It's the season to be thankful.  Today I am thanking God for all the benefits He had brought into my life.  I looked up benefit in a dictionary and picked out a few words:  advantage, gift and kindness.  I liked these words as they describe what God has done in my life so far.  He has given me advantages.  He has given me many gifts.  He is really kind in His direction in my life.

What a benefit package!

No comments:

Post a Comment