Saturday, November 9, 2013

Safety First


Yesterday I finally made it to the Ten Commandments!  I had been anticipating a fresh look and learning from the well known laws. I was surprised by my initial thought and not disappointed.

To begin my daily study, I write the verse in my journal.  Sometimes it is word by word and sometimes I do a bit of grammatical editing to organize my thoughts.

My journal entry for Deuteronomy 5: 6 -  "I am the Lord your God who brought you out of Egypt, the land of slavery."  My initial thought - The One God gives us freedom and delivers me from slavery.

Journal entry Deuteronomy 5:7 - "You shall have no other gods before me."  My thoughts- Why would I choose another god over the One who frees me?  Yet I do and He knows I will.  Commandment two tells me God is jealous but He knows us too well.  He knows we are fickle.

Journal entry Deuteronomy 5:8 - " You shall not make for yourself an idol... and bow down and worship it.  I am the Lord your God and am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the fathers to the third and fourth generations for those who hate Me but showing love for a thousand generations for those who love Me and keep My commandments."  Three gets specific with idols and gives the consequences right up front!

Deuteronomy 5: 11 - "You shall not misuse God's name."  God is jealous for my own good. His protection will keep me safe.  I need to have one God.  It's the safest way of life.

I summarized these verses, these first commandments, in two words, "Safety First!"  I thought about those words all day.   I even did an internet search on "Safety First".  I found hundreds of entries for protecting babies, for safe driving, for safety in the workplace, for drug use and for public safety.

I pondered the question, "Why is safety so important to us in the secular world and not in the spiritual?"  We think we can ignore the rules, the benefits and the wisdom of simply following God.  In the safety of God's laws, we will avoid temptation, avoid sin and avoid its consequences.  By following God's laws, I will live long and prosper!

So my journal outline of Deuteronomy will label these verses as "Safety First".  Living God's way is the safe way. 

I may purchase the sign I found listed in my internet search "The best way is the safe way."  The safe way, to me, now means God's way.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment