Monday, September 23, 2013

Earrings

"You're wearing earrings..."  My friend burst into tears when she saw me at the door.  She was just home from the hospital after the birth of her second son.  I was on the way to the grocery store and had called to ask if I could pick up some groceries for her.  I rang the doorbell expecting to be handed her shopping list.  But instead, she reminded me that change even really good change is a crisis.

My thoughts went to that event when I read Deuteronomy 1: 19-21.  Moses was retelling the Israelites the story of arriving at the hill country of the Amorites.  God told them, "This is it!  We're here! Go get the land!"  Ok, that's the Jan translation.

I was intrigued by God's words.  First, He presented them with the news that they had arrived at the land He had promised them.  He gave them instructions to go and take possession of it.  Then He reassured them not to be afraid or discouraged.  I thought, "why not tell them to rejoice or enjoy themselves?"

God knows us well.  He knows that change is hard.  With change, even the very best, comes new circumstances, some we don't anticipate.

The Israelites were to have new homes(the hill country versus the desert they had known for so long);

They had new jobs (take possession of the land.  So far they possessed only what traveled along with them on their wanderings.)

And they had new responsibilities - possessing land.  Possessing land means to me, some measure of permanence and I've always thought of the Israelites not too attached to land.

God knows that new homes, jobs and responsibilities can cause fear and discouragement.  My friend loved that baby and her family.  She was a great wife and mother.  Her grocery list was organized by the aisle in the grocery store for my shopping ease.  But she longed for the day when she had time to shower leisurely and choose earrings to match her outfit or maybe wouldn't get pulled on by a baby.

He knows we are entering "foreign territory" on a daily basis.  The Israelites were entering land that was fertile (flowing with milk and honey), had cities and kings and the people looked different.

To live Life means change happens.  Too often, the change is not our choice.

Today we live in a world that is "foreign" to us.  The people sometimes think different from us and have different goals for life.  We are only temporary residents in this world.  We have a Heavenly Home where we are citizens.  In the meantime, God tells us:   Do not be afraid. Do not be discouraged.  I will never leave you or forsake you.

1 comment:

  1. I will never leave you or forsake you has been a source of comfort more times than I can count. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete