Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Live the Moment


 I saw myself in Deuteronomy 1: 22-25 yesterday.  The Israelites had arrived at the hill country.  This was it!, God had told them.  Just as I would have done, they said, "to help us make a better plan let's do some research."  Again, this is a Jan translation.

For some reason many humans think knowing what will happen in the future is a good thing.  But maybe not.  If we knew the change, that might not be to our liking, was in our future would that help me live today?  I'm not sure I would be comforted by knowing my future. There are some events and circumstances we cannot control.  Many times I have decided "ignorance is bliss!"

Sometimes our need to know creates more fear rather than less.  The Israelites sent their spies.  They came back with a report.  The land was flowing with milk and honey, the cities were big and so were the people.  Perhaps as the news spread, fear led to the exaggerated perception that the cities were walled to the sky, the people were taller and bigger and God brought them there to kill them. 

People are pretty quick to forget the years of provision and protection that God provides when fear takes control.

Yesterday I also read a section in Cesar Millan's (the Dog Whisperer) book about how dogs live in the moment.  It was a good contrast.  It's not that dogs don't have memories but yet they have the ability to live the moment of life as it happens.  Dogs know you by your energy at the moment they are living.  I would assume there is some forgiveness and hope in that lifestyle.  My puppies see me in each moment.  So if I had a bad moment, I can change that and make a better next moment.

Maybe I should do more living in the moment and less researching about the future.  The Israelites worried about the future, which lead to exaggerated fear and lack of trust in God.  They yearned for a past with selective memory.

I'm still going to be sensible and make sure I have gas in my car before I leave town.  I have moved the computer power cord out of a puppy's mouth several times.  I have learned consequences in life.  I don't need to create situations I can easily prevent.

Yet, when I hear God say, "This is it!"  I am going to remember to live in His moment.  Trust God in the moment and in the future He has for me.  I will remember His provision and protection in my past so I can live the moment and see His future.  God's future has to be the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment