Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Make Coffee?

"And you’ll make the coffee..." My mouth dropped open as he explained that I was the first one in the store in the morning so it was only logical that I make the coffee. I then explained that I didn’t know how to make coffee. I didn’t drink the stuff. His reply was, "it’s easy I’ll show you."

I remembered that job interview from many years ago when reading Deuteronomy 10:12 this morning. Deuteronomy is one of my favorite books. I know not many people say that! To me, it shows the God of the second chances. If I’d have been God, the Israelites would have been charred cinders after about the second day of whining. Yet God still loved them, provided for them, led them and fulfilled His promises.

The verse answers the question, "What does God ask of you?". The first verb in the list is to "fear" the Lord. I like to think of that kind of fear as honor, revere and follow, not "quake in my boots" afraid. Perhaps the phrases that follow are the list of our duties for our "job" of honoring and following God.

The list that follows "fear" tells me to walk in all His ways, to love Him, to serve the Lord with all my heart and all my soul and to observe all His commands and decrees. I like the order. I choose to live for the Lord and love the Lord. Then because of my choice to love God, I serve and obey.

I also note the frequent use of the word "all". God’s expectation is that I am "all in", that I strive to do my best.

I may think I get to choose God and I do. The following verses tell me God really chose me first. He’s going to keep me even if I fail in my "job responsibilities", as I’ve viewed these verses.

I lost my job making coffee after a week and three "easy" lessons. Guess it wasn’t as easy as my boss thought.

So glad God will keep me even when I fall short of living for Him, loving Him, serving and obeying.

By the way, I have learned to make coffee well and now I drink the stuff, granted it’s really creamer with a bit of coffee! Likewise, I am learning to honor and follow God by living, loving, serving and obeying.

No comments:

Post a Comment