Monday, September 9, 2013

A wedding toast and a dream"


"..and through the trials in life that make us stronger..." These words from a chic flick movie wedding toast stuck in my brain.  So stuck in my brain I had a very strange dream.

My dream early this morning tells me I have probably watched too many suspense and action movies.  My reflection of the who and why of the dream has caused me to go to the Bible and think on perseverance.

In my dream I was in trouble, probably a bit of my own poor choice and a bit of
"being in the wrong place at the wrong time." In my trial, three friends appeared.  The couple came alongside me in my trial.  They stayed with me, not to rescue me, but to keep me calm and focused and give me sound advice.  The third friend came later and gave me food, a necessity at the time.  (Granted it was weird food, but it was food.)

This morning I went to James 1:2.  James reminds us to consider it joy when facing trials.  Now that is not a comforting thought at the time of the trial.  Usually that choice to be joyful comes in hindsight.  James tells us that the testing of our faith develops perseverance.

This made me ask why these three specific friends appeared in my dream.  They are good friends but not ones I see regularly, unless you count Facebook.  However, all three of them have persevered through some serious testing of faith.  They face the  kind of trials that take daily perseverance to overcome and remain faithful.

I remember the longer the dream went, the more courage I mustered.  My wise friends in my dream continued to remind me not to be alone.  There was safety in numbers.  This morning I rejoice that I do have friends who come alongside of me keeping me calm, focused and nourished.

We should mature as a result of a trial, not crumble and fall away.  It is our choice.  The benefits are maturity, blessings, joy and better equipped for life's next trial.

A synonym for persevere is endure.  I like to think to endure is not gritting your teeth and hanging on.  I think of it as calmly weathering the storms, learning from each one to make the navigation of the next one smoother.

In my journal for James 1:2 my comment was
"Hang onto God, it's good for you." It is always better with God rather than alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment