Tuesday, July 5, 2022

Stuck at a Crossroad?


 “But when you ask, you must believe and not doubt, because the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind.” [Jas 1:6 NIV]

Why would one ask for something from a source that is questionable?  Before one asks, wouldn't one have faith in the ability of the giver to deliver?  Sounds like an exercise in philosophy.  I'm not much for such deep thinking.  

Asking and doubt often appear together in life.

I like to keep it simple.  I start with a reliable dictionary definition for doubt.  Somewhere in my wanderings in the online dictionaries and encyclopedias, I discover that the Latin source of the word for doubt means to be of two minds, double minded, to stand at the crossroad.

Life challenges (those times that may not go the way you wish or go in a surprising direction) are like standing at a crossroad with at least 2 paths or options. Simply put, I have the choice to believe God has the best plan for me OR I can choose following my skewed human logic.

Perhaps it's human nature to want the cake and eat it too. Reason tells me that having cake and eating it are incompatible since once I eat the cake, I no longer have it.  There it is again, philosophy creeping into my pondering. 

When considering a decision or pausing at a crossroad of choice, in the face of another life challenge, I'll be tossed in both directions (because I can't have my cake and eat it too) until I'm "seasick" (then cake isn't appealing at all!).  Seasickness, car sickness and air sickness are conditions I have a lifetime of experience Motion sickness tablets are a staple in my travel kit.  I enjoy adventures so much more with the security of those little tablets.  They very rarely fail me.

I have faith in those motion sickness tablets because of my past experience.  Likewise, I have faith in God's love and care reflected in the plan He has for me because of the times He has provided, delivered and held my hand.  My mom's advice for seasickness was not to look down at the waves but look up to the horizon.  




The horizon gives stability.  When in doubt, look up!

Doubt, to me, means I need to make a choice.  To choose faith in God or faith in myself.  Unfortunately, due to the influence of worldly desires, selfishness and often laziness, I stand at that crossroad of choice for far too long. I’ve stood at a crossroad of obedience for many months.  I’ve been reminded that researching how to “have it both ways” mean I’m standing at the crossroad going nowhere.  

I’ve wavered for months with posting this musing.  It’s harder to choose the path than I make it sound. (Frankly, I need a motion sickness tablet!) God’s path is stability and the choice for me.  

These months have taught me to choose, and stop my wavering. Choose God’s path because He loves you and me. Choosing God’s path will be the spiritual motion sickness tablet—the seas of life will be calm. 

Let's engage:

What is your favorite cake?

Is doubt a bad thing?

When have you chosen God’s path in a time of doubt?

 

 

 

2 comments:

  1. So fitting for our World today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Favorite cake: Applesauce raisin cake
    Doubt: Good or bad? I'm still thinking about this one.
    I have chosen God's path when I came out of retirement for the third time.

    ReplyDelete