Saturday, July 23, 2022

Presumptuous we are



 

“For that person must not suppose that he will receive anything from the Lord;” [Jas 1:7 ESV]

“he is a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways. “[Jas 1:8 ESV]

 

I walked into my kitchen to find my dinner guest cleaning and rearranging my cupboards.  I was at a loss on how to react. We didn’t know each other well. In my mind, she was presumptuous. There must be a right of privacy of cupboard.    She accepted my hospitality only to invade my privacy.

 

When I read James 1: 7-8 I felt uncomfortable.  The first note in my journal was “it takes gall to ask the one you rejected for help. We are presumptuous.  We ignore God’s offer of relationship and then blame Him when life goes awry!”  

 

We ask God to be in our lives. Yet, when it comes to “cleaning our spiritual cupboards” we consider God to be the intruder.  We are quick to accept God’s forgiveness and blessings.  Yet, when a single circumstance displaces our happiness or comfort, we are even quicker to blame God.  Too often we demand that God fix the situation, even when we made the mess.  That seems presumptuous! Perhaps that is being double-minded.

 

Have you noticed how many in our society have a self-absorbed world view with little regard for the impact their actions have on others?  They want more than what they have, address their personal needs first, create drama to get their way and play the victim card often.

 

When my plan for life is interrupted with an unwelcome event or condition, I choose my response. The options are trust in God or devise my own scheme to alleviate the problem.

 

I learned a valuable life lesson from my mom when she had cancer the first time. A very close family member was venting frustration with Mother’s situation exclaiming “WHY?  Why you?”  Mother calmly replied, “Why not me?  Who am I that I should receive special treatment?”

 

My mother’s perspective on her situation has been a life lesson to me.  My response to similar situations has been, at least my goal, is not to presume God loves me more than others nor does He promise me a “rose garden” easy life.  Rather, God is with me always, yes, always, and He is in control of the entire situation.

 

The Greek word translated double-minded is “dipsychos”.  It means two spirited and vacillating in opinion or purpose.  It is used only twice in the New Testament, in verse 1:8 and again in James 4:8.

 

“Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded. “[Jas 4:8 ESV]

 

This verse reminds me of the cure for my double-mindedness.  

o   First, draw near to God. Go to God and tell Him about the situation and how you feel. Listen to what He says in response.

o   Cleanse my hands.  Just as Pontius Pilate washed his hands of the crowds’ clamor for Jesus’ death, I need to wash my thoughts and actions from viewing my life circumstances the way the entitled worldly do.

o   Purify my heart.  Review my motive for my choice of view of life circumstance.  Am I only thinking of myself and how this interruption will affect me, and only me? Or am I trusting God’s sovereignty and plan for my life and those I affect?

 

Let’s engage:

§  Do you have a cupboard that needs to be cleaned?

§  Have you ever felt like you were entitled and did not receive what you sought?

§  Have you ever felt the effect of someone else’s thirst for entitlement?

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment