Thursday, July 21, 2022

Affirmation

I approached the basket, as instructed, and choose the paper star on the top of the pile. Immediately I turned it over to read my Star word. The speaker had introduced the practice of selecting a word to guide the year on Epiphany, the day tradition recognizes the visit of the Magi visiting the Christ Child. 


“Affirmation” was my Star word. I smiled and knew it was significant. 


I’ve wrestled with my calling for several months. I’ve always wanted to be a writer, to be published. My mom instilled the idea when she acknowledged my potential. Her qualifications to judge were she was an avid reader, and she was my mom! 


In 2013 I started a blog and wrote three to four times a week. I was an early riser and used the quiet morning to read, study and ponder the book of Deuteronomy. I had two puppies at the time who served as my alarm and accountability partners. My husband was working out of town. 


Years later, in full retirement, I should have been able to keep up writing. I should have four or five books completed. I’ve had thoughts and ideas. I’ve outlined and dreamed. But laziness and doubt have held me hostage. I’ve contributed to writing challenges several times but never been selected for publishing. 


Doubt is a formidable opponent. Wallowing in doubt will erode self-confidence, focus and sense of accomplishment. (There’s nothing that rewards me more than the ability to “check the completed box”.)


Last year I resolved to start blogging again. I chose the book of James and returned to make pattern of reading a verse or two, considering what the verse said to me in my day and penning a meditation. Then James 1:6 and my pondering on doubt sucked the “wind out of my sails”! 


I was confronted with my “church-lady” sounding simplistic ruminations of doubt and how to handle it. I’ve been stuck in neutral ever side. I’m too legalistic to skip the verses. I’m too fearful to admit my vulnerability. Perhaps my dream is past, over and/or not achievable. Yet I could not “Elsa it” (let it go). 


Now I have this star shaped slip of paper with this word glaring at me, pricking my heart. I smiled because I knew it was the compass needle pointing me to the answer. I checked an online dictionary for the definition of affirmation. One of the definitions: nod head. God has nodded His head at me and is waiting for me to nod in return. 


While doing my daily lesson for my online bible study group, I faced the question “Is God really calling me or is this something I want to do?” (Before the Throne, p. 76) 


The video testimony at the women’s conference included Habbakuk 2:2. My heart felt that prick again. This verse in The Message encouraged me(emphasis added): 
• Write This 
• Write what you see 
• Write it out in BIG BLOCK LETTERS 
• So it can be read on the run 
• This vision-message is a witness pointing to what’s coming. 


The Habbakuk verse gave me these instructions: 
o BLOG. For now, I should be blogging. I rarely read anything on the internet that is more than 500 words, so I don’t need to be more verbose than 500 words; 
o SIMPLE. K.I.S.S. – Keep It Simple Servant- I’m not a theologian. 
o APPLICABLE. Share usable thoughts for everyday life, not drastic circumstances. 
o SOW. Use that degree in Botany! Sow into others seeds of encouragement 


One of my most recent acrostics: 
T he 
R eason 
B log is 
E ngage, Encouragement, Excitement, Enthusiasm 


“Every word of the Bible can speak to you on any day and in many ways.” Jan Sipe’s “Any, Many Principle.

So I resolve, again, to let the words of the Bible speak and to share what I hear to encourage, excite and enthuse others.  

Feel free to join my Facebook group- Sunset Jan's Blog (Jan Sipe) or email me at Jansipe2013@gmail.com.  The group gives us a measure of intimacy so we can apply our learnings together.

No comments:

Post a Comment