Friday, April 10, 2020

Steady,Keep Looking to the Horizon

“But when you ask, you must believe and not doubt, because the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind.”
‭‭James‬ ‭1:6‬ ‭NIV‬‬
https://www.bible.com/111/jas.1.6.niv

s
A rare photo of waves...There's a dolphin in there!

It took me quite a while to find a photo of waves in my archive of vacation memories.  I rarely look at waves. Mother taught me that looking at waves leads to seasickness.

I am extremely  susceptible to sea, air and motion sickness .  I can feel it coming on just thinking about waves!   I can't even watch a movie of a car chase through the mountains!  Adventures on the water tense me up with thoughts of illness.

 One day as I was boarding a small vessel for whale watching, swallowing motion sickness prevention pills, my mom gave me this sage piece of advice  ."Don't look at the waves. Focus on the horizon. It never moves."

The sixth verse in the first chapter of the book of James warns of being tossed about in a sea of doubt.  James reminds me how to keep steady on my course of Life.

Ask in faith. That means ask without doubt.  Doubt is what confuses life.  To focus on the churning waves of circumstance too often leads me to be tossed about or even sink.  God is the horizon.  God is the steady course.  Commit  my vision up and  toward the future and to God.



No comments:

Post a Comment