Thursday, April 23, 2020

The Recipe for Productive Faith includes...

“and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness;”
‭‭2 Peter‬ ‭1:6‬ ‭NIV‬‬
https://www.bible.com/111/2pe.1.6.niv


I shook my head when I read the sixth verse of 2 Peter, the next verse in my journey through the sixth verse of every book in the Bible.  The horse bucked in an unusual place.

 I've heard a story about how the Bible was divided into verses.  My storyteller described an  itinerant preacher on horseback.  The preacher read as  he rode and whenever the horse bumped, the preacher marked a new verse.  I don't believe this to be authentic, yet it makes me comfortable with verse designations in the middle of a sentence..

What makes me comfortable in a crazy world where comfort has definitely been disrupted?   Too many have more than their comfort disrupted. Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness seems to be beyond one's control.

The world teaches that if we feel productive, we will be happy. My attempt to feel productive in my shelter at home period has been sewing masks, baking bread and shopping online..














I've made  a substantial dent in my fabric collection.. Now I'm starting to alter the bread recipe with my own creativity.  It keeps me busy but I doubt the momentary happiness from this productivity will satisfy my soul.

Peter gives me a better recipe to be productive and effective.  Peter encourages me to add,to my faith in Jesus goodness, knowledge, self-control, perseverance, godliness, mutual affection and love.

“For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ."
‭‭2 Peter‬ ‭1:8‬ ‭NIV‬‬
https://www.bible.com/111/2pe.1.8.niv


No comments:

Post a Comment