Tuesday, March 3, 2020

Love afresh the Gift of God

“For this reason I remind you to kindle afresh the gift of God which is in you through the laying on of my hands.”
‭‭2 Timothy‬ ‭1:6‬ ‭NASB‬‬
https://www.bible.com/100/2ti.1.6.nasb



The day I fear and relish is almost here!  I've been waiting since Christmas Day.  The hint of Spring is in the air.  Any day now one of the men in my life will carry my new fire pit from the dry safety of the basement to the light of our backyard.  I'm accumulating my fire ingredients.

I love to sit by a fire. The attraction could be nostalgic.  I was a Girl Scout for all my youth and part of my adulthood.  Rarely do I use the flames for cooking.  The draw is the beauty of the flames.  The consuming of fuel. The control of its destiny.  The singularity of purpose.  Fire has one purpose to continue to burn.

Fire's one purpose is my concern.  The singularity of fire's purpose compels me to take precautions.  I'll pay attention to the presence of wind. I'll also have a bucket of water ready to douse.

My internet instructions for fire building had a recipe of three ingredients:  Tinder (the little stuff); Kindling (the good stuff) and Log (the main stuff).  I have lots of tinder.  Scrap paper aplenty in my house.  Logs, I'll purchase at the lumber store. Kindling is my challenge.  I'll need to gather the medium sized sticks somewhere else.  I have two trees with a total of 12 leaves each!

Paul reminds Timothy to rekindle the gift God  has given him.The following verse tells of the three attributes of the gift- power, love and discipline.  The second ingredient in this list is a challenge just like kindling in my yard.

The world teaches us to lust for power.  Every self help plan offers discipline and order.  Love in our world is in short supply.  I don't love others enough.  I love myself too much and not enough.  I am challenged to love God more.  To love and use the gifts of God more. 

I have no reason for concern or fear.  God is love.  God defines love.  God pours out love. God's love is good,really, really good.  Nothing in this world satisfies more than God's love.

This verse has kindled afresh my purpose, my destiny.  To have one purpose and only one purpose.  To love God,and His gifts,with all my heart, mind and soul. 

No comments:

Post a Comment