Thursday, February 27, 2020

Too Tight to Live as Wish

“Certain persons, by swerving from these, have wandered away into vain discussion,”
‭‭1 Timothy‬ ‭1:6‬ ‭ESV‬‬
https://www.bible.com/59/1ti.1.6.esv

I've always wanted a circle driveway and now I know why.

When I read this verse in The Message "vain discussion" was described as "cul-de-sacs of gossip."

I was fascinated.

I'd thought it was a positive to live on a cul-de-sac but then I never have.  I just use them to turn around when lost in a neighborhood.  My friendly official city Facebook page always reminds those who live on a cul-de-sac to avoid parking on the street as the snow plows will not be able to plow.

An article from a realtor on the internet honestly addressed the pros and cons of cul-de-sac location.  One of the cons was only one way in and out.   That made me ponder.

Gossip is a nice way to cloak judgment.  The ulterior motive of the gossiper is to look better than the gossipee. The gossiper has one way, only, to judge. The verses which precede remind that love is the source of discussion and issues from a pure heart and good conscience.

Today this verse reminds me the foundation of my discussions should be love.  Love should be a circle driveway not one way in and out.  Love gives two options, pure heart and good conscience.

We almost lived on a cul-de-sac in a house with a circle drive on Circle Street.  The price of the house was above our budget.  The price for my "circle driveway discussions" has been paid by the love and sacrifice of Jesus!

If we each resolve to let love fuel our discussions, could we get the politicians to  use the 'circle driveways of discussion"?

No comments:

Post a Comment