Thursday, January 16, 2020

Reject Fickle Life Accept Jesus’ Freedom

“I can’t believe your fickleness—how easily you have turned traitor to him who called you by the grace of Christ by embracing a variant message! It is not a minor variation, you know; it is completely other, an alien message, a no-message, a lie about God. Those who are provoking this agitation among you are turning the Message of Christ on its head. Let me be blunt: If one of us—even if an angel from heaven!—were to preach something other than what we preached originally, let him be cursed. I said it once; I’ll say it again: If anyone, regardless of reputation or credentials, preaches something other than what you received originally, let him be cursed.”
‭‭Galatians‬ ‭1:6-9‬ ‭MSG‬‬
https://www.bible.com/97/gal.1.6-9.msg

FICKLENESS!!!!!  The word jumped from the screen of the Bible app to become lodged in my pondering brain.

I live in a fickle world.  Products continually vie for our purchase. Events lure us from other activities. Fame influences us to be an imitation of someone we are not.

Fickleness breeds disappointment.  Too many times I've disappointed.  So many times I've been disappointed.

It's a fickle world full of fickle people.  Fickleness seems to be ripe with flexibility and opportunity but it's really a trap.  It's a life of indecision, incompleteness and purposeless.

My last Christmas gift reminded me of loyalty.  A potato masher.  When we moved over a year ago I reluctantly discarded the utensil I'd received as a wedding gift forty plus years ago.   I loved it but the rust worried me  Had we been consuming microscopic bits of rust with those mashed potatoes?

I couldn't bring myself to buy a new one.  Honestly I couldn't find the style.  I had other mashers but they didn't work right.  So the past several months,  I've been  old fashioned and high tech--it's been a fork or the stand up mixer depending on the quantity of potatoes to be mashed.

Hallelujah the Christmas gift came through!  A new masher in my favorite style!  Mashed potatoes for dinner tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My reading of this verse occurred the same week I received my new masher and the same week I was reminded of loyalty-  no coincidence.  Years ago, during my mother's antiquing phase, she acquired an antique potato masher.  It hung on her kitchen wall for years, until her kitchen style changed.  She passed it off to me with a "hang this in your kitchen" suggestion.  I did hang it in all my kitchens until this last move.  I couldn't find the antique masher initially.  When I found it I realized this kitchen had no space for my "old friend".  Just last week, I found the spot, the hammer and a nail on the same day and  hung the old masher.  I feel like my home is home now.   The old thing is a reminder of loyalty.

My mom taught me many lessons in loyalty.  No coincidence that today is her birthday!




As Paul reminds in Galatians Jesus came with The Opportunity for Freedom.  Paul reminds us to be Loyal to the simple message of Jesus Christ Crucified.

I have decided to follow Jesus.  Jesus makes my life complete.  Jesus has given me purpose.  My resolve is to be loyal to Jesus alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment