Thursday, January 9, 2020

Are Others Distressed For My Benefit?

“If we are distressed, it is for your comfort and salvation; if we are comforted, it is for your comfort, which produces in you patient endurance of the same sufferings we suffer.”
‭‭2 Corinthians‬ ‭1:6‬ ‭NIV‬‬
https://www.bible.com/111/2co.1.6.nivB
Throwback Thursday-me in my doubter season 

I can't remember his full name. He was a friend of my brother and lived somewhere in our neighborhood.  Yet his life had a profound effect on mine.  Mike (I think was his first name) went to school with my brother and me.  I remember him in my brother's circle of friends in junior high and high school.  Nice boy as I recall.  I have two distinct memories of Mike.

At a junior high track meet, I overheard the coaches commenting on Mike's running style.  It was head, arms and legs moving in frantic motion.  The coaches' education taught them that Mike's style needed to change.  He would never win with all that extraneous motion. Ii started to watch Mike's races.  His race style was unique and the coaches were right, he never won.  I admired him from afar, he was in my younger brother's circle of friends.  I secretly rooted for him to win in spite of the coaches'predictions.  He did once in my memory.  I remember him as one who persevered despite the advice of others to quit.

A few years later, when Mike was a very young adult he faced another "race".  He had cancer.  Far too young Mike lost that race too.  True to his character he endured this challenge with grit, determination and faith.

Grit, determination and faith.  Mike is one of my earliest memories of a Christian living out his faith.  I don't believe he kept his belief in Jesus a secret.  I knew and I was several circle of friends removed.

I thought of Mike and the effect of his testimony on my own life and faith.  When Mike changed his address to Heaven, I was a doubter, practically an agnostic. Yet I count Mike's demonstration of his faith and identity in Jesus Christ as His Savior as a brick in my road to belief.

Thanks Mike for living an authentic Christian life.  You made an impact in lives you probably never realized while on earth.  You remind me to endure and trust God.  Be authentic and true in my walk with Christ.  Others will benefit.

1 comment: