Saturday, June 11, 2016

Two worlds



"She knows a lot more about life than I do." We were just leaving juvenile hall. Dick had helped a 15 year old runaway turn herself in.  I had heard some of her stories. Now I was on my way back to my safe Christian world. 

I thought of my brief trip to the other world when I read Mark 11:12-12:12. Jesus draws attention to two worlds.  There is the world of the fig and the world of the temp.

On the way to Jerusalem Jesus saw a fig tree without fruit to satisfy His hunger.  He cursed it.  Twenty-four hours later,  the fig tree was withered away. Peter remembered His curse.  Jesus used this opportunity to teach the disciples about faith.

He told Peter to have faith in God.  Believe in God to throw a mountain into the sea! What is asked in prayer, believe it will be received, don't doubt God and don't let forgiveness come between others and God. The world of the fig, 
Faith
In
God

At the temple Jesus interacted with the religious leaders. He challenged their management of the temple. It had become a commercial enterprise rather than a house of prayer.  So the next day when He returned they challenged His authority.

The corrupt temple and its leaders are examples of the temp world. It includes demands of submission to authority, clinging to power at all costs and fear, of those above and beneath.

The "temp" world:
Trusts in self
Evil leads it
Motivated by fear and
Power rules!

And it is temporary whereas the world of the FIG is everlasting!

I want to live in the FIG world but I am surrounded by the TEMP world. I need to be like the disciples and listen to Jesus (Mark 11:14) and leave to be with Jesus (Mark 11:19).

Why? Because God loves me so much He sent His very own Son to this TEMP world to rescue you and me.








No comments:

Post a Comment