Friday, March 28, 2014

Spoon hanging


I was cruising through Facebook this morning and saw a friend's daughter with a spoon balanced from her nose.  I smiled, "It's a Love family tradition that has spread." 

My grandmother came from the Love family (Yes, that was her real maiden name!)  There were 12 children and I had the pleasure of knowing several in my youth.  Longevity was also a family trait.

Many Christmas dinners were spent gathered around the table.  One of the great aunts taught us to hang a silver spoon from our nose by huffing a breath, to warm it, and then balancing it on your nose.  The family photo album includes a photo of about ten of us from 10-80 years old with spoons on our noses.  My brother held the record for spoons on his nose, cheeks and chin until  Adam came along.  Adam holds the record now.(But now that I've made that statement I suspect my brother will challenge the titleholder at the next family gathering.)

We have perpetuated the "tradition".  Many friends have been taught the finer points of spoon hanging around our holiday  table.  I even think if I check the photos from my son's wedding there will be photos of people with spoons hanging on their noses.

It is no coincidence that I saw my friend's picture just after reading Deuteronomy 16:1-8.  The Israelites are instructed to  observe the month of Aviv and celebrate when God "passed over" them and delivered them from the bondage of Egypt. 

He gives instruction on where to sacrifice, the place where God chooses for His Name, and how to eat the meal. Eat unleavened bread with the Passover sacrifice to remind them of the haste of their exit from Egypt.  Keep yeast from their possession for 7 days.  Don't have any leftovers, eat all the Passover sacrifice.  Then in the morning return to their tents.

In our family we have several "family holidays" that are not found on a Hallmark calendar.  We have celebrations on the anniversary of each of these.  Dick celebrates July 27-walking each and every day.  He has not missed a day.  He walks even when ill or traveling or busy. Usually he gets a new pair of running shoes.  We celebrate July 19-when Adam arrived in our family.  I send him a mushy note about being a better person because of him.  He celebrated one year by proposing to his wife.  Dick and I celebrate August 5-the day cancer passed over me because of God's deliverance.  We are either traveling somewhere (to check off things on the bucket list) or having a party.  My photo album, actually the photos still held in the computer, document me standing with fingers held up to indicate the number of years God has given me.  This past year I needed another hand so my longtime high school chums gave me my first pedicure and helped me add the 11th finger to my count!

These verses tell us to make time to:

Remember the affliction

Rejoice in the deliverance

Return to Life to spread the news that God delivers.   

No comments:

Post a Comment