Wednesday, March 12, 2014

My first allowance


"Wow!  A Whole Quarter!" I felt rich and grownup. (Now you know how old I am.  I was young when a quarter was a big sum of money!)

My mother had just told me she was going to give me a weekly allowance.  She told me what my responsibilities were to receive the allowance, making my bed and unloading the dishwasher, to this day my least favorite job in the kitchen.  She also told me the use of my wealth:  ten cents for my Sunday School offering; ten cents for Girl Scout dues and five cents for me.

I was reminded of the valuable lesson my mother taught me about the use of money when I read Deuteronomy 14: 22-29.  Moses reminded the Israelites to set aside one tenth of all their grain, new wine, oil, firstborn of the herds and flocks to present to God in the place where He chooses as the dwelling  for His name.  In the event they would live too far from that place, then there was the  alternative of exchanging their one-tenth tithe for silver to carry to God's place and buy whatever they like to take to God.

The purpose of this tithe was to learn to revere God always (verse 23).  I started to ponder the meaning of revere but  then realized that the important word  in that sentence, for today, was always.  I wonder when in the history of my allowance did I forget the source of the allowance and take the view that the allowance was my right and not a gift or reward for my service.

As I grew up, when did I think that the money, possessions and wealth in my life belonged to me?  I earned it and I will keep it or use it as I see fit.  I'm sure I often asked my parents for more than I should, perhaps I demanded it. 

These verses remind me that all I have has been provided by God, always. The ability to work and earn, the opportunity to provide for my needs, wants and desires are a gift from God, always.  When I tithe to God, I am acknowledging His provision and care for me,, always.  I acknowledge that God is the one in control of my life, always, because my effort at control lacks the ability for me to  keep balance in my life, always.

Early in our marriage we were in a church that helped us learn to tithe.  We were struggling to meet our daily needs and drowning in debt.  The thought of tithing seemed impossible.  The church's annual giving card suggested a percentage starting at any number we chose.  I think we decided on three percent of our net.  The giving card asked a second, more important question, "Will you also commit to raising this gift by one percent next year?"   That gave us hope that someday in the future we could actually attain our goal of ten percent.  This question  helped us develop a pattern for the use of our money, just as the plan my mother gave me for my allowance.

We also decided at this time that the first check written in the month would be our "tithe".   Somehow,  at the end of every month, we had our needs met.  It seems impossible that our monthly food budget was merely $35 and we felt like we ate well and fed a bunch of other single seminary students.  (They always brought the ice cream for dessert.) We rejoiced with every unexpected income of money, an honorarium, a scholarship, a utility refund, loose change found.

Now, after thirty plus years, we always write the first check to God.  We have learned that God will meet our needs, always.  He is the One in control, always. We need to trust Him to provide and rejoice each time He does, always.

T              Take it to God.  He gave me everything!

I               Include others in my praise.  Include the family, the servants and the needy.

T              To learn to revere God, always.

H             Have a plan.

E              Enjoy.  I look forward every month to putting the first check in the offering plate, because I can,               God made it possible!

No comments:

Post a Comment